Motivation Monday: how to save extra money

First weekend back and what do ya know, this little lady caught a flu bug.

With that being said, my big get-out-of-the-apartment moment of the weekend landed me at Target - Harrisonburg's greatest shopping experience. I spent about an hour in the store, wheeling that red cart at a snail's pace and looking at all of the cute, new products. They always have a 10/10 Valentine's Day selection. No, I didn't plan on adding a new, bright pink candle or adorable package of paperclips to my cart - stuff happens. Props to Target's marketing and display crew.

Leaving the store, I thought about all of the times my "shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste" list turned into a "bikini, Essie, wine" list. Welp. Then, I thought about how quickly the real world is a-comin' and how every little bit of extra cash will be fantastic. Imagine if I saved that $20 extra bucks, instead of spending them frivolously (Essie, you are never a frivolous expense). Don't get me wrong, I'm not a crazy, go-buy-everything-I-see kind of girl. I've always been pretty good at saving. Still, those extra unnecessary purchases not only clutter my tiny apartment room, 
but deprive me of a little extra cash.

This brings me to this week's...

Motivation Monday Week 2: Stretch the $20       


We're still coming out of the holidays. Our bank accounts are probably all aware of this. 
We're also just getting back into the swing of things - classes, transportation, grocery shopping (I miss your cooking dad), etc. - which can always put an extra toll on our wallet. But this week is a new week and my Target extravaganza is in the past. This week I vow to spend no more than $20 on "extras." I plan to keep close tabs on where my money is going and save for what's to come...

There's an app for that. Have you ever heard of Mint? Basically, the app keeps track of/categorizes your spending and creates a personalized budget for you. My roomies and I were having a discussion about the app last night - I think I'll give it a try for this week's resolution (and forever). 
Try it with me?  

No comments

Back to Top