Too much sitting is unhealthy: be the last man standing





Hello, hello!

Coming to you live from...a sit and stand (office) desk -- bet you didn't see that one coming. 

The next stop on my summer adventure is the city! I've been anticipating this part of my summer for quite sometime and am stoked that it's finally here. You see, for nearly the entire month of July I'm interning with a wellness company in D.C.. Although I've only been working here for a week, I'm already in love with both the company and the city. Each day, in and out of the office, there's a new task or place to explore... it's all just wonderful. 


I finished my first week as an intern, mastered the metro and discovered all of the nearby coffee cafes... a successful week to say the least!

Ever since my first step into the office building, I've been blown away by the company. Who would've thought there are other people as excited about new salads and Fitbits as I am?! Everyone's passionate about leading a healthy lifestyle and sharing their health knowledge with others; interning with this company is the perfect fit.

Did I mention that I get to wear exercise clothes to work?


Now I'm sure you're wondering 1. What's a sit and stand desk/what's its purpose? And 2. What does this have to do with today's blog post? Let me explain. A sit and stand desk is exactly how it sounds: a desk that you can both sit and stand at to get work done. The desk electronically moves up and down with the push of a button, allowing the user to pick the perfect (sitting or standing) height. It serves the purpose of allowing office workers to take a break from being sedentary for lengthy periods of time. Americans spend half of their day participating in sedentary activity (watching television, working on the computer, etc) -- this is a problem. Too much sitting is certainly not healthy and is linked to many health problems, such as:
  • Diabetes
  • Weight gain
  • Heart disease
  • Cancer
  • Shorter lifespan   
Maybe you're thinking this doesn't apply to you since you keep an exercise routine each morning. Unfortunately, this isn't true. If you continue to spend the rest of your day (post/prior to working out) in a couch or chair, you're still contributing to a sedentary lifestyle and are at risk for the health problems mentioned above. The solution? Stand-up and get moving! Something as easy as standing while you work in the office is a healthy fix. Standing while working not only energizes you and improves your mood, but it also contributes to the following:
  • Increases heart-rate (expending energy and expelling calories)
  • Increases HDL levels (the good cholesterol)
  • Weight loss and body size reduction
  • Boosts mood (less fatigue, tension, confusion, depression, stress)

Get to standin'!


Here's an infographic showing the correct way to stand while using a stand-up desk!

Looking for other ways to keep healthy in the office? Stay tuned this month! 

No comments

Back to Top