6 Benefits of biking

Well everyone, yesterday marked the end of my time interning in DC - a simply wonderful adventure! I've thoroughly enjoyed every second here (minus the uncomfortable mattress #PrincessAndThePea). Everyday, the city is filled with so much excitement; there's always a new area to explore or new view to absorb. I think my most favorite aspect of DC is how active everyone is. You can't step outside without seeing someone running, walking or biking around. It's great.
With so many trails, who wouldn't take advantage of exercising outdoors?! 

I'm certainly going to miss it here, but hopefully I'll be back real soon. 

OK, I'll cut the sappiness and move on to today's {DC inspired} topic: biking
As mentioned above, biking is certainly a big deal in the city - both outdoors and in
(yes, I'm referring to SoulCycle). Though I've definitely always been a runner girl, I'm hoping to fuel my inner biker girl (as in not motorcycling lol).
There's so many benefits of biking; let's take a stroll and check them out.


1. Full-body-sculpting: Aside from having killer, strong glutes and legs (oh my quads), balancing/steering works both your core and upper body as well. 

2. Joint-saving: Constant pounding on your feet can wear-n-tear your joints and knees. On the other hand, pedaling on a bike keeps the stress off of your joints. Adjust your bike so that your knee is at a 25 to 30 degree angle; this ensures an easier ride for both you and your knees.

4. Calorie-torching: You can burn some serious calories cycling, especially if you ride at a fast speed and include some hills too. Wanna see an estimate of how many calories you'll burn while cycling? Click here for a Calorie Calculator! Just type in your speed, duration and weight, then press "calculate." 

5. Commuting: While walking acts as a great mode of transportation, biking allows you to commute further, at a faster rate. DC even offers a biking service that allows anyone in the area to rent a bike. Rent for the day or rent for the year, click here for more details about Capital Bikeshare.     


6. Energy-boosting: In general, exercise boosts your energy - so, add cycling to the list. If you're getting in a workout rut and need to switch things up a bit, give biking a go! 

Thanks for reading!

No comments

Back to Top