This old remedy is back and better than ever

What goes around, comes around.


Like all quality fashion trends, it seems as though popular health and wellness movements trickle in and out of the spotlight too. Making its way back around (at this moment) is a ye olde remedy that goes by the name of "Epsom salt." Say that three times fast. 

There's a good chance you haven't heard of this so-called "salt." There's a better chance your parents have. And your grandparents, they're 100 percent in the know. G-Ma for the win! So, what is it? For starters, this salt gets its name by being present in saline springs throughout Epsom — a town in England. Although I keep saying "salt," these crystal-like bits are unlike the flavoring we love and adore on our soft pretzels; instead, it's a pure mineral compound of magnesium and sulfate. When flushed with warm water in a tub, this dynamic compound is broken down and said to seep through the skin and into the body.  

Now, the why. Why should we want magnesium and sulfate soaked into our body? Sounds daunting and harmful. First, both minerals are needed in the body — and note that their levels are commonly lower than they should be. While magnesium regulates enzyme activity, sulfate helps with the formation of tissues and joint proteins. Both are necessary to keep the body running smoothly. Because of the presence of this combo, Epsom salt is said to work wonders. Especially if you have aches, pains and sore muscles. Soaking in an Epsom bath is supposed to leave you feeling relaxed and loosey goosey. Perfect for a post-workout detox. That's not all! Epsom salt helps remove splinters, relieves stress, rids dead skin through exfoliation, clears blackheads, soothes skin, etc. It can even serve a purpose in the garden or through household chores. Magic



I decided this all sounded too good to be true. So, after my evening workout, I strolled into the nearest Duane Reade and picked up a hefty bag o' salt for myself. You can find plastic bags of Epsom in most any local drug store, as well as the grocery store. Yup, me, myself and my Epsom. When I got back to my apartment, I quickly filled the tub with hot water and added the recommended two cups of Epsom salt. I sat, soaked... thought about the day/remainder of the week... all with a cup of hot tea in-hand. After 12 to 15 minutes, I hopped out. It may have been the relaxing atmosphere or I could've just be extremely worn-out; regardless, it's now out with the bubble bath and in with the Epsom salt. The bath felt great. Not to mention, the salt I picked out had a lavender scent. Mmmmm.

After a single soak, it's hard to tell if all the mentioned magic (above) took place. That's to be expected. From my own investigation, articles state that if you really want to feel the soothing benefits, you need more frequent Epsom baths. About two to three a week. Still, after bath numero uno, I feel relaxed already – I'll take it.

Have you ever tried an Epsom bath? If so, comment below with your thoughts!


No comments

Back to Top