How to avoid the European-15: tips for keeping healthy abroad



First stop: Dublin, Ireland



Top o' the mornin to ya!

Yes, my summer travels abroad have commenced. Nearly the entire month of June will be spent hopping from country to country (within Europe) with my bff -- stay tuned to see which country I end up in next. 

Since we're hopping all-around, we're definitely limited to the amount of luggage we can 'lug' around with us. Dare I even say what this means: 1 to 2 pairs of running clothes. Because running is my favorite way to stay active, I knew from the beginning that the lack of running clothes (and washer/dryer access) may present itself as a minute problem... Especially since I'll be surrounded by the yummiest of foods. So, this article, as well as the next few ones this month, will be all about keeping healthy while abroad (or at least attempting to). There'll be no European-15 for this girl!

For starters, let's talk about the temptress itself: bread. The Irish certainly know how to make some mighty fine bread -- I'm sure it's only going to get more delish as we continue on through Europe. Day one in Ireland was a complete wash when it came to watching my bread intake. It's a marathon, Caroline...the bread isn't going anywhere; in fact, it'll be here all month. With that motto in mind, I have limited myself to one serving a day (and somedays, none!). But! Eropean bread is definitely a must try... You can't go overseas and restrict your every calorie, right?! Try it all... Portioning is key. 

This brings me to my next point: portion sizes. Thankfully, my momma is always up for sharing; which not only saves money, but saves our poor jeans from ripping in half. A lot of the meals here are very heavy... By that I mean, if you finish your plate, you'll likely be uncomfortable for hours. On the other hand, sharing allows us to move and groove ourselves out of the restaurant and into the shopping centers, without feeling stuffed. Sharing is caring. 

As I mentioned above, not being able to get my run on was kinda a bummer, but I got over that almost the second we landed in the city! With a Fitbit strapped on my arm, my mom and I took off exploring. So far, we've been racking up 10 mile walking days (and boy have we hit the bed hard each night). The best part about being with my mom abroad is her wanderlust... We're both anxious to see everything a new area has to offer, regardless of the amount of walking. Having a Fitbit is awesome (or "brilliant") for keeping our moves in-check... You don't realize just how much walking you actually do! 

In summary...

1. Limit your bread intake (Think: Marathon)

2. Sharing is caring 

3. Walk (and adventure) til you can't walk no mo'

Check back for my next articles abroad!



                   (So far, I've snuck-in one, five mile run... The views weren't too shabby either.)



No comments

Back to Top